Cardiology is the study of the disorders of the heart and consequently, the ways to treat them. The field includes medical diagnosis and treatment of congenital heart defects, coronary artery disease, heart failure, valvular heart disease and electrophysiology.
- The Department of Cardiology has conducted 12 heart transplants, the maximum among hospitals in Karnataka.
- In collaboration with the University of Illinois, the department also runs Heart Rescue India, a programme to shorten the duration of therapy for acute heart attack patients.
- Undergraduates get acquainted with Cardiology as a super-specialty within the subject of General Medicine.
- In their training, they get to know about clinical manifestations of heart problems and signs and symptoms that may be reported. They also get trained in basic diagnosis.
- MD General Medicine residents get a clinical posting to this department for 2 months.
- The DM Cardiology programme covers non-invasive and interventional cardiology. Senior residents also get exposed to pediatric cardiology.
- In the first year, they are taught about complex cardiac diseases, how to run an OPD and how to perform Echo diagnoses. In the second and third years, they are taught interventions.
- After their DM, senior residents can choose from further super-specialities such as heart failure therapy, electrophysiology and pediatric cardiology.
- Along with well-equipped ICUs and OTs, the department features adult and pediatric Echo facilities.
- In addition, it also has a non-invasive facility for dobutamine stress echo, high-tech 3D electro anatomical mapping system, 2 treadmills and 1 cardio-pulmonary outfit.
- There’s a fully function invasive unit along with 2 labs. The department also has a state-of-the-art digital Cathlab for Coronary-Angiogram, Angioplasty (PTCA), Stenting, Valvuloplasty and pacemaker implantations.
Dr. Prakash V S
Professor & HOD
Dr. Nagamalesh U M
Dr. Anupama V Hegde