Gastroenterology is the study of the normal function and diseases of the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, colon and rectum, pancreas, gallbladder, bile ducts and liver. It includes common and important conditions such as colon polyps and cancer, hepatitis, gastro-esophageal reflux (heartburn), peptic ulcer disease, colitis, gallbladder and biliary tract disease, nutritional problems, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), and pancreatitis.
- Surgical Gastroenterology is a full-fledged super specialty with laparoscopic surgical facilities.
- The Department of Gastroenterology has been recognised as a PENTAX Centre of Excellence.
- Undergraduates are briefly introduced to this super specialty during their MBBS. Postgraduates get clinical postings in the department (15 days to a month).
- Training during this period involves inpatient rounds, bedside teaching and outpatient rounds.
- Residents are also trained in procedures such as endoscopy, colonoscopy and ERCP for removing stones. This apart, MS General Surgery residents have to undergo a yearly programme in diagnostic endoscopy on a human cadaver.
- The DM programme takes students through the experiential process of making notes, discussing with the radiologist, understanding scans and writing case sheets in the 1st year. In the 2nd year, they get trained in therapeutics and begin practicing on patients.
- The department features an Endoscopy workstation for Interventional Endoscopy relating to the biliary tract and digestive system.
- It also offers Endoscopic management of Gastrointestinal bleeding and dilatation of narrowed segments of gut, placement of self-expanding metallic stents for cancers, removal of biliary ductal stones, relieving jaundice by placement of stents by ERCP and a 24-hour service for acute bleeds and severe liver failure.
- It offers a comprehensive work up in chronic liver diseases leading to liver transplant assessment and ICU care of hepatic coma patients and viral and autoimmune workup of acute and chronic hepatitis.
Dr. B Avinash
Professor & HOD
Dr. Harshavardhan Rao B.
Dr. Lokesh L V