Medical Oncology is a super-specialty that merges the vital aspects of quality patient care through palliation, prolongation and cure. Oncology deals with tumors and other abnormal growths with the intention of understanding their development, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention. It is concerned with diagnosis of cancer and providing treatment with a multi-pronged approach including modalities such as surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy. The oncologist often coordinates the multidisciplinary care of cancer patients, involving physiotherapy, counselling, and clinical genetics through the integrated campus.
- Apart from its focus on academics, the department is known for its involvement in the inter-departmental Tumour Board (Radiation Oncology, Surgical Oncology, Gynaecologic Oncology, Pathology and Medical Oncology) and Haematology Board (Paediatrics, Pathology and Medical Oncology).
- In collaboration with the University of Illionois, the department has created an autologous transplant setup at the Ramaiah Memorial Hospital featuring advanced machines, a dedicated lab and treatment arms.
- Residents learn about the basics of oncology, about chemo drugs and protocols. They also learn to diagnose oncological emergencies and work with haematological malignancies.
- DM residents are trained to diagnose solid and liquid malignancies, treatment with chemo drugs, drug scheduling and follow-up.
- State-of-the-art equipment such as linear accelerators, advance simulators and cobalt radiation units are part of departmental facilities.
- The DM programme takes students through the experiential process of making notes, discussing with the radiologist, understanding scans and writing case sheets in the 1st year. In the 2nd year, they get trained in therapeutics and begin practicing on patients.
- The department features an Endoscopy workstation for Interventional Endoscopy relating to the biliary tract and digestive system.
- It also offers Endoscopic management of Gastrointestinal bleeding and dilatation of narrowed segments of gut, placement of self-expanding metallic stents for cancers, removal of biliary ductal stones, relieving jaundice by placement of stents by ERCP and a 24-hour service for acute bleeds and severe liver failure.
- It offers a comprehensive work up in chronic liver diseases leading to liver transplant assessment and ICU care of hepatic coma patients and viral and autoimmune workup of acute and chronic hepatitis.
Dr. Vinayak V Maka
Professor & HOD
Dr. Santhosh Kumar D
Dr. Rasmi Palassery
Dr. Swaratika Majumdar