The Department of Pediatric Surgery combines the evolving perspective of patient care with child health. Pediatric surgery is a sub-specialty of General Surgery involving the surgery of fetuses, infants, children, adolescents, and young adults. Further subspecialties of pediatric surgery include: neonatal surgery and fetal surgery.
- This department treats abdominal wall defects: omphalocele, gastroschisis, hernia, chest wall deformities: pectusexcavatum, childhood tumors: like neuroblastoma, Wilms’ tumor, rhabdomyosarcoma, ATRT, liver tumors, teratomas and the separation of conjoined twins.
- Most of the learning revolves around hands-on training where the residents work closely with babies and children.
- They learn how to start an IV, since IV access is a vital skill. They also learn a series of bedside procedures and then move on to observe OT procedures.
- At the super-specialty stage, residents work with children aged up to 12 years, and in some cases up to 18 years.
- Training revolves around anomalies found and pre and post operative care. Congenital anomalies covered in the course include esophageal artesia, diaphragmatic hernia, renal anomalies, lung anomalies and genital tract anomalies among others.
- Integrated teaching in collaboration with other departments is a necessary part of a resident’s journey in this department.
- It is imperative that students train in certain essential radiology procedures. Similarly, knowledge of anesthesia is important.
- Residents also learn through the camps that are organised by the department under various government schemes.
- The department works closely with Pathology, Radiology, Oncology and Pediatrics.
- A fully functional neo-natal intensive unit and pediatric intensive unit are the main facilities in the department.
- Other facilities in the Department ainclude Laparoscopes, Thoracoscope, Bronchoscope, Cystoscopes, Pathology & radiology facilities, Critical care facilities (PICU+NICU with ventilator support) and state-of-the-art operation theatres.
Dr. Padmalatha Kadamba
Professor & HOD
Dr. Neehar Patil
Dr. Rashmi D