Vascular Surgery revolves around surgical intervention of the delicate vascular system, comprising arteries, veins and lymphatic structures. Diseases are managed by medical therapy, minimally-invasive catheter procedures, and surgical reconstruction. The specialty evolved from general and cardiac surgery as well as minimally invasive techniques pioneered by interventional radiology. A vascular surgeon is trained in the diagnosis and management of diseases affecting all parts of the vascular system except those affecting the heart and brain.
- This department at RMC is known to be among the only 5 in India that has opened its doors for students from all across the country.
- The department has participated in several global drug trials.
- MS General Surgery residents are posted to this department for 1 month. During this time, they learn through practicals, and by shadowing and assisting senior residents and faculty.
- The M.Ch. in Vascular and Endovascular Surgery starts with the senior residents assisting the faculty for the first 3 months.
- Post this, they go on external rotational postings in Radiology and Cardio-Thoracic. This is followed by a 2-month external posting in some of the most prestigious institutes in our country.
- The department of vascular surgery works closely with Nephrology, Cardiology, Endocrinology and Anesthesiology.
- The department has a running collaboration with the National University, Singapore. They also have a continuing exchange programme with the El Camino Medical Centre, Santa Jose, where residents are trained after their M.Ch. programme.
- The department features a dedicated Foot Clinic for diabetic foot care. The clinic comprises both diagnostic as well as therapeutic facilities.
- The facilities include Diagnostic Angiography, Catheter-Based Interventions and Surgical Reconstruction, Dialysis Access, Treatment of Graft Infections, Renal and Visceral Vascular Disease Management, Varicose Veins & Venous Ulcer Management, Peripheral Arterial Aneurysm, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome and Vascular Screening Services.
Dr. Sanjay C Desai
Professor & HOD
Dr. Chandrashekar A R
Dr. Vivek Vardhan J P
Dr. Suhas S
Dr. Sriram Manchikanti