Dermatology is the branch of medicine that deals with hair, nails, skin and its diseases. It is a specialty with both medical and surgical aspects.
- A dermatologist treats diseases, in the widest sense, and addresses cosmetic problems of the skin, scalp, hair, and nails. The department also incorporates venereology (the branch of medicine for sexually transmitted diseases and AIDS).
- As a subject, dermatology represents clinical, pathological and surgical perspectives.
- The training involves students learning the basics of diagnosing skin problems, their clinical aspects, and ways to manage and treat them.
- Apart from real-time observation, students have access to audio-visual facilities through which they can observe procedures being performed.
- In addition to learning about dermatological problems and their management, residents are also introduced to cosmetic dermatology. They learn how to treat and counsel patients as well as how to handle equipment.
- The department has various kinds of lasers, phototherapy units and high-end microscopes. The facilities also include those needed to perform minor surgical procedures.
- Faculty research projects are often funded by external organisations such as Bangalore Dermatological Society and Indian Association of Dermatologists.
Dr. Sumathy T K
Professor & HOD
Dr. Shivaswamy K N
Dr. Praveen Kumar S
Dr. Suparna M Y
Dr. Deena Patil
Dr. Sudha Banti